SpongeBob SquarePants is an American animated children's television series created by Stephen Hillenburg & which airs on the Nickelodeon network from 1999 and onward. The show features personified ocean animals, namely SpongeBob the sea sponge and Patrick the starfish, who live on the seafloor in a town called Bikini Bottom. The animation in the show is somewhat abstract and very surreal often featuring bizarre plot lines, characters and animation techniques. The show was created by the animator and marine biologist Stephen Hillenburg (1961-2018), under his small independent company United Plankton Pictures for Nickelodeon Animation Studios.
The cartoon became a worldwide phenomenon upon its airing in 1999, which spun-off to merchandising, feature films, comics, theme parks attractions, internet memes, and the upcoming spin-off series, making the titular character to be one of the recognizable animated characters in history.
- SpongeBob SquarePants - A square sea sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea. He works at the Krusty Krab along with his boring neighbor Squidward. He has a best friend named Patrick Star.
- Patrick Star - A cheerful, naive, and unintelligent starfish who is SpongeBob's best friend. He lives under a rock to the right of Squidward's house. He is unemployed but has held various temporary jobs throughout the series.
- Squidward Tentacles - An arrogant octopus who lives in an Easter Island head between SpongeBob and Patrick's houses. Although loved by the other characters, Squidward is pessimistic and asocial. He loathes his job as the cashier at the Krusty Krab.
- Eugene H. Krabs - The cheapskate, miserly owner of the Krusty Krab. Commonly known as Mr. Krabs, he is SpongeBob and Squidward's boss. He lives in an anchor with his daughter Pearl, who is a whale.
- Sheldon J. Plankton - A small green copepod who runs the failing Chum Bucket restaurant along with his sentient computer Karen. His goal is to steal the secret Krabby Patty formula and run Mr. Krabs out of business. He is a skilled inventor and often creates machines to assist him in his plots.
- Karen Plankton - A waterproof supercomputer who lives in the Chum Bucket laboratory. She acts as Plankton's sidekick and wife, providing him with evil plans to steal the recipe for Krabby Patties. Plankton always takes the credit for Karen's ideas and ends up messing them up.
- Sandy Cheeks - Another friend of SpongeBob's, Sandy is an athletic squirrel from Texas. She wears an astronaut suit and lives in an air-filled "Treedome" so that she can survive Bikini Bottom's ocean environment. She works as a scientist and an inventor.
- Mrs. Puff - SpongeBob's teacher at boating school. She is a pufferfish who blows up like an airbag whenever she is scared or crashes. SpongeBob is her longest-standing student. She is Mr. Krabs' love interest and girlfriend.
- Pearl Krabs - A whale who lives in a hollow anchor with her father, Mr. Krabs. When she grows up, her father wants her to continue the family business by inheriting the Krusty Krab and becoming its owner. She is currently a teenager who spends most of her time and money at the mall.
- Gary - SpongeBob's pet snail who meows like a cat, as do the other snails on the show. He is very intelligent, as revealed in the episode "Your Shoe's Untied." Gary actually wears shoes, and taught SpongeBob how to tie his shoes. Gary also has many other items stored in his shell.
In 2004, Nickelodeon Studios and Paramount Pictures produced a feature length SpongeBob SquarePants film under the direction of series creator Stephen Hillenburg. To date the film has a domestic gross total of over 85 million dollars and was met with generally positive reviews. RottenTomatoes.com, a film review website, shows a 70% average among gathered reviews while IMDB holds a 6.3/10 star rating.
Pretty Ancient World